Saturday, November 15, 2008

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Ellie spent a long time talking with the big-wigs in camp. I have pretty good confidence in her: she can accomplish just about anything she sets her mind to. They had me shacked up in an equipment tent where people came in and out at all hours of the day and night. After debriefing Ellie, Misty dropped in to my tent. I could see a concerned look on her face.

"So, Alex, how well do you know that woman," she asked, flopping down on the cot next to me?

"Um...we dated for nine months, and lived together most of that time. I never knew she was an agent and a foreigner until the very end. So basically I don't know her at all."

"Do you trust her?" She held her helmet in her hands as she sat on the cot. We all were required to wear them in case snipers lurked about.

"With my life. I don't know if she would be here if not for me. I think leaving me at Kastle Klingon is eating her up inside, and she's having trouble forgiving herself."

Misty brushed some dirt off her helmet. "So," she said softly, "you still have some feelings for her?"

"It's complicated," I replied, probably not the best response. "I mean, I don't know if we were ever really together. And it just sort of ended, no fight or anything. I mean there was a battle and all that, but we just kind of parted."

"That's not really an answer," Misty said.

I tried to explain the best I could. "Misty, Ellie is bat-shit crazy. She kills people by chewing through their necks. Like a dog making a kill. I think I've seen a little too much of the real Ellie to ever go back. I don't think she's ever going to change her ways. She's not the kind of person I think I'd want to raise a family with. She set up a hitman agency...just for fun. She kills for fun. It's not my kind of lifestyle."

Misty sighed. "Still...it's OK Alex. I understand if you have feelings for her. I just want you to be honest with me."

I knelt before her and grabbed her hands. "I guess I wasn't being clear. Ellie and I have a close history. But that's all it is: history. I've moved on, she's moved on, and you're the one I want to be with now. We've talked and talked about all the things we want to do back in the world and I'm so excited about being with you and doing those things. It's great to see Ellie, but whenever I think about her I also think about how much she lied to me. It's like falling in love with a character in a book. It's great while you're reading, but when the book's closed you have nothing. I want to see your homeland, I want to share your life and be with you."

A tear spilled down her face and we hugged. "Thank you, Alex," she whispered to me.

"Ahem," came a voice from the tent door.

"Ellie! Hey. Have you met Misty?"

Ellie poked her head through the flap. "Yeah, we've...met. Good to see you again, Officer Nguyen. Now I need to steal Alex for a little while. Gotta, you know, save the world."

Misty managed a small smile but held onto me just a moment more than needed. "Talk to you later," she told me.

Ellie led me across the camp, followed by the usual contingent of guards. We entered a communication center where the company Commander and his staff waited for us.

We all stood around a table. Ellie began speaking. She described her elaborate set up, and detailed everyone's roles. I didn't particularly like the plan, but it made a kind of sense. It was our only option really.

"Then it's done," said the Commander. "Sergeant, see if you can open a channel to the boat. They must be listening on some frequency."

"No," I said, "I have a better idea. I just need a computer connected to the Internet. There's one I was using on my trip over here."

They retrieved the laptop I had been using and hooked me up. I knew a few aliases Carrie had used in the past. I logged into various services and finally found one alias online.

"Hey" I typed into the window.

While I was waiting for a response I searched for a few more screen names but nothing came up. After about ten minutes, I got a reply.

"Well, look what cat dragged up. You're still alive? What the hell do you want?"

"I want in. I'm sick of coming up on the losing side."

"Really. Or is it more like you're setting me up?"

I thought. "Yes, really. I've had it with being pushed around. First Ellie, then at the labor camp. I'm sick of it all and I want mine. I worked my ass off to help build the Matrix and I want some of the benefit. You owe me."

"Right. And what do exactly bring to the table?"

"I know you've been sitting out there for two weeks working on technically difficulties. I can deliver Misty Nguyen and Rod Portman. Misty wants to be with me and Rod really was a defector. Also...I can deliver Ellie. I am so sick of her trying to mess up my thing with Misty. She's a real jealous bitch." Sorry, Ellie.

"Ha!" She replied. Then, "So you want to join our merry band of pirates as we take over the world. You should see our bounty chest already. It would take all of the island of Oahu to bury it all."

Ahh, I got her to talk about her favorite subject: herself. "Sounds kewl. I'm so sick of the bullshit. I want Ellie to stop fucking up my life. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help you, but I gotta get something out of it. Got any needs for any presidents of any countries? It can be a small country."

"I think I've underestimated you, Alex. This world is built for people to take what they want. You taught me that. And you really did do a pretty good job on the Matrix control system. It's whomever built this engine management system that I want eliminated as soon as possible. Fucking retards."

"So I have the idiot Brits thinking they'd send us over to talk you out of it. Make you listen to reason. Present you with 'deals'. Once we eliminate Ellie there's not much to fear."

We waited for a while for a response.

"OK Alex. How do you want to do this?"

I typed in some instructions about how we would steal a small boat at night and head over to her. So it's all set for a few hours.

This may be my last post for a while, if ever. Once we're on that boat...assuming Carrie even lets us on and lets us live, I don't know if I'll be able to communicate.

Wish us luck.

Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 @ 8:55 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able.